9.08.2007

Finished Icosahedron Camera

The Icosahedron Camera is finished, more or less. I have experimented once with it, aside from shooting with the prototypical tetrahedron sections (see previous post). The day before moving from San Antonio to Nacogdoches, I loaded all twenty sections, tied up the camera, and ventured out to the common eating area outside the cafeteria at UTSA. This area is called the "Sombrilla." I can only guess that it has something to do with shade, because I don't see any broad Latin hats out there. For me, it was an ideal place to take advantage of the unique qualities of the tetrahedron sections. The overhead architecture, which lets in plenty of natural light, distorts nicely along the folds of the tetrahedron, to which the film is conforming. Thirteen of the twenty worked out nicely. Not bad for a first attempt. I'll publish samples when I get them printed. For now, here's a picture of the finished camera.